In the United States, more than half of adults fail to meet the recommended amount of physical activity. We should exercise for at least 30 minutes every day with moderate-intensity, or for 75 minutes of vigorous activity every week. Sometimes it is difficult to meet these recommendations with our busy lives, juggling work, families, education and taking care of ourselves. But getting moving can become easier by making minor changes throughout our day.
With the weather turning cold, we have the tendency to be more stationary indoors, but there are many indoor activities to keep you busy, along with the beautiful fall days to take you outdoors. From taking a few moments out of your day to run around the neighborhood to taking the stairs instead of the elevator, you can get moving! Here are a few ways you can get active and stay active through the holiday season.
- clean the house
- walk the dogs around the neighborhood
- take a dance break while dinner is cooking
- exercise during commercial breaks
- organize your house, your closet or anything causing your stress
- play with the pets
- rearrange the furniture for the new year
- join a gym near you and start achieving your strength goals
- take the stairs instead of the elevator or escalator
- go window shopping with a friend or family member. Taking a trip to the local mall or strip mall doesn’t have to hurt the bank. You can simply have time to talk to your loved one while getting those much-needed steps in at the same time.
- shop for a new Christmas tree
- bundle up and go for a hike!
- find the perfect picnic spot around you
- tour your alma mater. The trees are changing, the weather is nice and the student body is excited for the ongoing football season.
- stroll the neighborhood with a loved one
- attend a holiday festival or Christmas light special like one of the following: HallowMarine at the Oklahoma Aquarium, Turkey Shoot at OKC Community Centers, The Santa Market, Lights on Broadway Holiday Open House or touring the impressive Yukon Christmas lights display at Chisolm Trail Park.
- desk exercises like these
- take a bike ride instead of driving
While some of these might not seem like physical activity, all of these can add up when it comes to daily recommendations. So when life gets hectic and you can’t make it to the gym, try one of these activities to reach your goals this holiday season!